A honeymoon seals the first steps of a long journey together: “more and more couples are choosing eco-friendly honeymoons,” agrees Anna Pezik, senior editor at Brides.com. “Couples are uncovering exotic, new, healthy ways to celebrate their nuptials, relax and have fun — while preserving the planet and giving back.”
Best Eco Lodges www.best-ecolodges.com has rated the top 5 green and eco honeymoons in the world. No matter your travelling style, we have found an eco honeymoon for you!
1. Jungle adventure & eco honeymoon in Belize– The Lodge at Chaa creek in San Ignacio is overlooking the sleepy Macal River in the foothills of the Maya Mountains, the Eco Lodge individually designed thatched cottages reflect an atmosphere of elegance. Miles of forested trails lead to a Natural History Center, Butterfly Farm, Rainforest Medicine Trail, an organic Maya Farm and a full-service Spa.
Honeymoon special: The Honeymoon package includes: Cottage Accommodations, Breakfast and Dinner, Bottle of Wine, Flowers, Romantic Canoe Trip, Horseback Ride or Mountain Biking, 2 Nature Walks or 1/2 Day Jungle Walk, Natural History Center & Butterfly Farm, Sunset Canoe Trip and Spa Treatments: (Facial mask, Body Wrap, Massage and Manicure & Pedicure) Available Dec 16, ’09 to Apr 30, 4 nights: $1,397 per person. More info here.
2. Secluded eco honeymoon in New Zealand – Voted one of the top 10 luxury lodges in NZ, Magic Cottages at Takou River is a secluded and beautiful riverside retreat set on the banks of the Takou River. Surrounded by 150 acres of certified organic pasture and native bush, five acres of sub-tropical gardens and within earshot of the sea. Stay at the Magic Cottage, a cosy solar powered studio perched on the river bank – the perfect romantic retreat complete with luxurious al fresco claw foot bath overlooking the river
Honeymoon special: The magic cottage offer 2 special package for honeymooners: the Bed, Bath and Bubbles and Gourmet Organic Retreat – can be combined with our bed, bath & bubbles package, or enjoyed on its own. More info here.
3. Off the beaten track romantic honeymoon in Jamaica – Hotel Mocking Bird Hill, Port Antonio, Jamaica, is a small, luxury, eco-chic, boutique hotel nestled between the majesty of Jamaica’s Blue Mountains and the Caribbean Sea. Overlooking the town of Port Antonio, with panoramic views of the Caribbean coast and the Blue Mountains, this hilltop retreat, with only 10 rooms, offers quiet and peaceful surroundings for those seeking a very special and off the beaten track experience. Hotel Mocking Bird Hill in Port Antonio Jamaica is an exquisite eco-boutique hotel in Jamaica’s greenest location affords the luxury of sharing quality ‘new couple’ time that will neither break the bank nor the environment.
Honeymoon special: Their romantic 5-night ‘Heavenly Honeymoon’ starts at US$1,075 per person and includes: Legendary breakfast on the balcony of your sea view room, Daily pre-dinner cocktails, Daily 4-course dinner with wine in their critically acclaimed ‘Mille Fleurs’ restaurant, romantic journey on a bamboo raft. The hotel also offers a “Happy Marry Tree” Package that includes a handmade gift certificate and two trees, which will be planted in your name by the Jamaica Conservation Development Trust (JCDT). More info here.
4. Wild Safari & honeymoon in Kenya – Campi ya Kanzi means “Camp of the Hidden Treasure” in Kiswahili. The Eco Lodge lies within a 400-square-mile Maasai private land in Southern Kenya, dominated by Mt. Kilimanjaro, just 35 miles away and only has 8 tented cottages. The Maasai are the landlords. The Eco Lodge has solar energy and collect rains from the roofs. They run an organic vegetable garden, and they have few chickens and few cows, for an organic production of eggs and milk. Water after use passes trough lava filters to clean it completely before it goes into two ponds for the wildlife. Luca and Antonella have founded the Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust to preserve
the cultural and wildlife heritage of the Maasai. There is an adoption scheme of wildlife, programs concerning conservation and health (50 teachers, 50 game scouts, 6 nurses and 1 doctor are employed at the moment).
Honeymoon special: Campi Ya Kanzi special discount of 20% on stays happening from now till 26th December. More info here.
5. Rejuvenating Honeymoon in India – Apani Dhani Ecolodge is located in Nawalgarh, town known for its wall paintings. The lodge has 9 bungalows constructed in the traditional way. Pampas grass is used for thatching the roofs and the walls are made of sun dried clay bricks. All the rooms are decorated with regional handicrafts and feature full bathroom facilities. It is a peaceful location to discover the countryside life of Rajasthan.
Honeymoon special: a 4 day/ 3 night package: D1. Arrival at Apani Dhani in the afternoon, visit of Nawalgarh. D2. Guided excursion towards several villages of Shekhawati. D3. Workshops with local artisans (tie and dye, bangles making)/ Meeting with a musician of the village for a short concert. D4: Stroll in the surrounding countryside in a camel cart, traditional means of transport, cooking class. Departure after lunch. Price (*): Rs. 6200 per pers. on the basis of a package for 2. (approx. 92 € for an exchange rate of 1€ = 68 Rs)
Included in the package: accommodation in round bungalow, full board, all activities. Not included: drinks and entries in havelis or museum. More info here.
For more information, visit www.best-ecolodges.com
Best Eco lodges